Manchester Bible School – 5-week Evening Classes for Those with a Desire to Learn
Manchester Bible School aims to provide accessible courses equipping people with a deeper knowledge and practical applications of the Bible and theology in a context of fellowship. No previous academic qualifications are required – just a desire to learn. This is a great and affordable way to experience an introduction to further theological education.
The courses are suitable for Christians with a basic grounding in the faith, but who want to increase their knowledge of God’s Word to help them in their Christian lives and service. Some courses aim to introduce topics, while others will build on previous courses to deepen engagement with the topic.
Spring 2023 Courses
Real Change: How the Gospel Changes us from the Inside Out
A course for those who want to grow with God’s help to see Real Change.
- Course overview: This six-session, discussion-based, Bible-centred course – from Biblical Counselling UK and New Growth Press – will be delivered on our Manchester campus.
- Whether we are new Christians or mature, we all have areas of our lives which need transforming. Real Change is pitched at all Believers who desire to grow and change whatever their stage of maturity in the Christian life.
Each participant will have a copy of the Real Change booklet; presentation and teaching from the front is interspersed with interactive discussion amongst the whole group. There are also times for discussion with one ‘discussion partner’ and these do not require feedback to the whole group. Participants are asked to undertake a “change project’ which involves choosing one aspect of their everyday life where they would like to see growth.
- Guidance on choosing a “change project”: As you go through the week, try to notice times when you are struggling. Where are the hard spots in your life? What are you finding difficult? Your struggles can come in many forms: a challenging relationship, physical health, work problems, disappointments, injustice, your circumstances, unwelcome news or being treated badly. Remember too that having things easy is also a challenge. Are there parts of your life that are so easy or successful that God seems unnecessary or irrelevant? What in your situation makes it easy to leave God to one side? Considering these things will help you decide what particular area of your life your change project should address. During each session there are times set aside to discuss and apply what you are learning We recommend these discussion times be done with one other person. Since you will be looking at the teaching of the Bible and discussing aspects of your change project, continuity will be important. So we recommend you keep the same discussion partner thought out the course. A discussion group of just two people will work much better than larger groupings of three or more. Of course, if you discussion partner is not able to attend one week you will have to join with another group for that session. Reflection individually between classes is encouraged to get the most out of the course but it is not compulsory.
- Dates: Mondays from 27th February – 3rd April. Note this is a six-week course.
- Time: 7:30pm – 9:30pm
- Course leaders: Sally Orwin Lee is an independent Biblical Counsellor with over 12 years experience. Sally completed her training with the Christian Counselling and Educational Foundation and is a trustee of Biblical Counselling UK. Liz Lehan is an independent Biblical Counsellor. Liz completed her training with Biblical Counselling UK and is also trained in secular counselling methodology.
- Delivery: In person at NTC
- Cost: £40 which includes the Real Change study guide
- Nazarene Pastors LLL Code: 14340 (1 hour per class)
- Class limited to 15 people.
What is Church for, and what is its role today?
- Course overview: This is a, discussion-based course that will be delivered live via Zoom. The classes are aimed quite broadly to anyone seeking a deeper view of who we (Christians) are and how we live, and why. Themes include: What is the ‘church’?; The Company of Jesus – Mark as a Discipleship Manual; The Church in Acts and Paul; The Church in history – themes and patterns; What is the role of the The Church today? It might also fit into the ‘lifelong learning’ pattern of pastors and church leaders who wish for constructive self-analysis.
- Dates: Mondays from 27th February – 27th March
- Time: 7:30pm – 9:30pm
- Course leader: Revd Dr Ken Baker is a teaching pastor at Redcatch Community Church in Bristol. He is an enthusiastic and engaging communicator with a range of teaching and ministry experiences.
- Delivery: Online via Zoom
- Cost: £35
- Nazarene Pastors LLL Code: 89556 (1 hour per class)
A Note on Costs
Most MBS courses cost £35, but we do have a concession price of £25 for students 16 yrs old and older, people with a disability, unemployed, or retired.
MBS on the Road
MBS on the Road is a new initiative that brings the Manchester Bible School experience to your church community.
Details of current partners and projects are listed on this page. If you’re interested in partnering with us for a short course at your church, please email Revd Louise Kenyon.
Check back soon for MBS on the Road announcements!