Howard A. Snyder PhD
Visiting Director, Manchester Wesley Research Centre; Former Professor of Wesley Studies, Tyndale Seminary; Former Professor of the History and Theology of Mission, Asbury Theological Seminary.
Howard A. Snyder served as Professor of Wesley Studies at Tyndale Seminary in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, from 2007 to June, 2012. Previously he was Professor of the History and Theology of Mission in the E. Stanley Jones School of World Mission and Evangelism at Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, Kentucky, 1996–2006. He has taught also at United Theological Seminary, Dayton, Ohio, and North Park Theological Seminary, and has pastored in Chicago and Detroit.
Howard was born in the Dominican Republic to U.S. missionary parents. He is a graduate of Spring Arbor Junior College (1960), Greenville College (1962), and Asbury Theological Seminary (1966). He completed his doctorate in historical theology at the University of Notre Dame in 1983. From 1968 to 1975 he served as pastor and seminary professor in São Paulo, Brazil, with the Free Methodist Church.
Howard has spoken frequently at colleges, seminaries, and conferences, including the 1974 International Congress on World Evangelization in Lausanne, Switzerland, the 1991 Evangelism 2000 Conference in Hong Kong, and the Mission Korea 2000 Conference in Seoul. He has done short-term teaching in Brazil, Singapore, India, and other countries. In 1993 he and his wife Janice visited thirteen countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America, studying the life and renewal of the Church.
Howard is an ordained elder in the Ohio Conference of the Free Methodist Church. He and Janice reside in Wilmore, Kentucky. They have four married children and thirteen grandchildren.
Select Recent Publications
- The Community of the King (InterVarsity Press, 1977 rev. ed., 2004).
- Decoding the Church: Mapping the DNA of Christ’s Body with Daniel V. Runyon (Baker, 2002).
- EarthCurrents: The Struggle for the World’s Soul (Abingdon Press, 1995).
- Global Good News: Mission in a New Context (Abingdon, 2001).
- Homosexuality and the Church: Defining Issue or Distracting Battle (Seedbed Publishing, 2014).
- Live While You Preach, The Autobiography of John Wesley Redfield 1810–1863 (Scarecrow Press, 2006).
- Populist Saints: B. T. and Ellen Roberts and the First Free Methodists (Eerdmans, 2006).
- The Problem of Wineskins (InterVarsity Press, 1975).
- Radical Renewal: The Problem of Wineskins Today, a revised edition of The Problem of Wineskins (Wipf & Stock, 2005).
- The Radical Wesley and Patterns for Church Renewal (InterVaristy Press, 1980).
- Salvation Means Creation Healed, with Joel Scandrett (Wipf & Stock, 2011).