Revd Svetlana Khobnya BA, MA, PhD (Manchester)
Lecturer in Biblical Studies
I’m passionate about theological education that’s committed to academic excellence, and which supports students in understanding and applying their faith.
I’m from Volgograd in Russia, and was working on a PhD in Linguistics at Volgograd Pedagogical University when I became a Christian. That led me to study theology, so I completed a BA (EuNC, Switzerland) and an MA in Theological Studies (Nazarene Theological Seminary, Kansas City). My husband and I pastored a church in Volgograd before coming to Manchester to complete my PhD (NTC) with a thesis entitled “The Father Who Redeems and the Son Who Obeys: Consideration of Paul’s Teaching in Romans.”
I’m a member of the Tyndale Fellowship, the Wesleyan Theological Society and the British New Testament Society. In 2015 I completed the University of Manchester New Academics Programme and became a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I teach and supervise in the areas of Biblical Studies, with a specialism in New Testament, Biblical Languages, and Theological German. I’m particularly interested in studies on Paul, intertextuality, and narrative approaches to Scripture, and would welcome research students who are exploring these areas.
I’m an ordained minister, and am happily married to Andrey. We’re actively involved in local church life in Manchester, and have a grown-up son, Artem.
I’m passionate about theological education that’s committed to academic excellence, and which supports students in understanding and applying their faith. And I’ve found NTC to be a place where this happens.
- “God the Father in the Old Testament” in European Journal of Theology 20 (2011): 139-148.
- The Father Who Redeems and the Son Who Obeys: Consideration of Paul’s Teaching in Romans. Eugene: Wipf&Stock, 2013.
- “The Root’ in Paul’s Olive Tree Metaphor (Romans 11:16-24)” in Tyndale Bulletin, 64.2 (2013): 257-27
- The Palmyrene Tax Tariff by I. S. Shifman (translated and edited with Dr. John F. Healey). Journal of Semitic Studies Supplement 33: Oxford University Press, 2014.
- “Holiness in Relation to Purity in Ephesians.” Pages 196-200 in Renovating Holiness. Edited by Joshua Broward and Thomas Oord. Nampa: Sacra Sage Press, 2015.
- “Human Sinful Condition” in Holiness Today, special edition (2015): 42-44.
- “Reconciliation: Now is the Acceptable Time (2 Cor 5:14-6:2)” in Didache Faithful Teaching, 16.1 (2016) at http://didache.nazarene.org
- “Reconciliation Must Prevail. A Fresh Look at 2 Corinthians 5:14–6:2” in European Journal of Theology 25 (2016): 128-136.