Study Abroad in Britain FAQs

When can I come and study?

The dates will vary depending on the programme you choose and the year of its offering. In general terms, Year Abroad students will arrive in the middle of September for the Autumn semester, go home the third week of December for Christmas break and return the last week of January for the Spring semester, which ends the first week of May. Semester abroad students will only be on campus for the Autumn or Spring semesters.

When do I need to apply?

For Semester and Year Abroad programmes, you need to apply at least 6 months before you wish to come. So, if you wanted to come for the Autumn semester in September, you would need to apply by March.

How much does it cost?

The Semester and Year Abroad programmes are typically financed by your home institution. You simply will continue to pay tuition fees to your home institution and NTC Manchester will receive payment for the cost of the programme from your institution’s finance department. This cost includes Tuition, Accommodation and Admin fee. Each institution has a unique agreement with NTC Manchester. You will usually be responsible, however, for the cost of your own travel to and from Manchester.

Please note: The information above is subject to NTC Manchester’s terms and conditions.

Do I need a visa?

Possibly, but not likely.

Most international students are allowed to enter the country for up to six months without a visa. Please check the UKVI website if you are unsure.

You WILL need a passport. Please be aware, if you do not have a passport, it can take up to a few months to be issued one.

Students who come for a year abroad, may wish to apply for a visa, but this is not required.

Can I travel to other countries?

Yes. For those students on the Year and Semester Abroad programmes, it is possible to travel outside the UK on weekends and during term breaks.

What about money?

We recommend you wait until you are in the UK to get money out. There are 24 hour ATM machines (cash machines) readily available in most locations.

Most credit cards are accepted in the UK, but we do advise you to make sure your banking or credit institutions are aware of your dates and locations of travel. It is important that you find out how to contact your bank or crediting institution from abroad, before you come.

What is Manchester like?

Manchester is a large and diverse metropolitan area located in the Northwest of England. Many different languages and cultures are represented here; this is reflected in the wide variety of shopping and restaurants on offer!

There are three large Universities in the Greater Manchester area, so the city is full of young and vibrant people who are always up for watching films, football, live music, and theatre.

Two professional football (soccer) teams call Manchester home: Manchester United and Manchester City.

The college is located in Didsbury, a village just 5 miles south of the city centre. Didsbury is full of interesting places to eat and shop, along with all of the amenities any university student would want: food, cinema, laser tag, and bowling!

How will I get around?

There are a variety of options for travelling locally and around the UK:

  • Taxi – Taxis are readily available anywhere in the UK. These can be hailed from the side of the road (black cabs) or pre-booked by telephone. Taxis can be expensive, so it is best to use them with a group of people so you can spread the cost.
  • Bus or Tram – Buses are readily available in most parts of the UK. In Manchester, and particularly in Didsbury where the college is located, there is a steady network of buses and trams, which take you to all corners of Greater Manchester. Buses and trams are relatively cheap and many students purchase monthly passes, which allow unlimited travel on certain routes for a fixed price and period of time.
  • Train – Trains are available across the country. Manchester is a hub for train travel in the Northwest of England. This is the quickest form of transport for travel in the UK. Tickets may be booked online or purchased in the train station or on the train (please note: purchasing tickets on the train is considerably more expensive than pre-booking tickets online or purchasing them at the station).
  • Walking – The primary mode of transportation in the UK is walking! Be sure to bring a good pair of dry walking shoes with you.

What about accommodation?

For all programmes, students will be staying in accommodation on campus. Each student has his/her own single-study room, which includes all of the basic amenities (bed, desk, wardrobe, chest of drawers, bathroom). Bedding and towels are provided as well.

Because the campus does not provide a cafeteria for meals, students are expected to cook for themselves using the available kitchen. There is a kitchen for each floor of the student accommodation building, which includes individual spaces for storage of food and all of the required utensils, pots and pans, etc. See our Accommodation page for more details.

In This Section