Pre-MA studies with Nazarene Theological College
NTC’s pre-MA study is designed to help those who are graduates of non-theological degrees develop foundational knowledge in biblical studies, practical theology, and theology to ensure they thrive in the MA in Theology programme.
➡️ What will I study?
Our pre-MA programme is made up of 3 modules – one in each of the areas of Biblical Studies, Practical Theology and Theology. These modules provide you with the key foundational concepts that you’ll need as a starting point for our MA in Theology.
Each module starts with an introductory video, followed by a number of structured tasks for you to engage with as you learn.
➡️ Do I have to be on campus?
No. You’ll progress through the self-directed programme online, but you can engage with faculty through email, phone, or video calls throughout the programme.
➡️ How long will it take?
About 300 hours. Put another way, it usually takes between 3 months and 1 year. The study is self-paced, so the duration depends on how much time you commit to it.
➡️ How much does it cost?
Fees are £500 which includes all three modules. Students may also need to purchase core books for each module.
➡️ What assessment do I have to complete?
The required assessment is grouped into the subject area modules. The full list is as follows:
- Forum responses to set textbook
- 4,000 word literature review on set readings around a chosen topic [Marked]
- Forum response to reading of 3 chapters/articles
- Forum response to reading of 2 textbooks
- 1,500 word book review [Marked]
- 3,500 essay on listed topic [Marked]
➡️ What results do I need for admission into the MA?
You need to achieve above the pass mark of 50 on the three assessment components. Students who pass these components and have completed the required forum responses will meet the pre-MA requirements for entry into the NTC MA in Theology.
➡️ How do I apply?
There are two ways to start on the pre-MA course:
1) You can apply for the MA in Theology programme. In considering your MA application, the admissions committee may refer you to the pre-MA programme and you will be invited to register at that time.
2) You may choose to register directly to the pre-MA course without the commitment of applying to the MA in Theology. You can register directly here. You may then choose to apply for the MA in Theology programme at a later date, once your pre-MA studies are underway.